الجمعة، 1 أغسطس 2008

?..Do liberals really exist

I was thinking about this yesterday amidst my frequent drifting off into lala land...If being liberal means that you give other people complete freedom to be themselves with no judgement of their actions and also applying the same rules for yourself then lol the only people I think are truly liberal are those people who are high! As humans we are born to judge and be critical of each other, I think that forms the whole basis of gossip and conversation. If so, then how come many of us adopt the label liberal without truly understanding what we are talking about? I recently overheard a conversation one of my sisters had with her friend....apparently there was a guy looking for a wife and he wanted her to be blonde and liberal...when i heard that i started laughing!! Of course you dont want liberal! not in this society you dont...cause liberal means she can be justified doing almost anything she wants and getting away with it....The same goes for men!! People go like yeah im kinda liberal you see and then they say such statements like they hate gay people . So how can you be a liberal then? I know a family who profess themselves to be amongst the biggest liberals in kuwait...the moment their kids showed an inclination towards any non-kuwaiti ppl and i mean this in the marriage sense they got locked in their rooms and not allowed to leave the house...Is this liberal? Hehhe I really think we should change the terms in our vocabulary.

هناك 3 تعليقات:

غير معرف يقول...

Very True wsa7 lsanch. Most of humans are hypocrites and I read many psychology books that states this, and they proof it with many studies.

nQ يقول...

I’m sure you could have stated better examples. Do you really think most people don’t approve of intercultural relationships and gays? :/ I personally lived in a “liberal” household. So, there you go :) you know at lease One liberal family :) My parents treat all my friends and lovers (regardless of the nationality) as part of the family. My family loves all my gay friends regardless of their, well, gayness. Even though we believe in individual liberty, it doesn’t mean that we cant voice our opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Don’t confuse opinion with judgment, Fajer. If for example I say, I’m bothered by smokers because I hate smoke, I think its wrong. That is simply my opinion, *even though secretly I think I’m better than all smokers, lol* and its nothing personal, I’m not judging the entire being of the smoker, I’m just voicing how I feel about it.
Its true though, you’re right, most people just assume they’re liberals just cause they have opposite-sex friends and tan in a bikini in some secluded beach in san tropez :) nice, brief, post.
cheers.

Fajer Al Layaleeeeeeeeee يقول...

the question is should we allow ourselves to keep being hypocrites or start to correct each other q8 diet?

ana nimir - Smoking is different tho isnt it? I mean so many ppl smoke its unbelievable. You dont abuse smokers tho and call them names like dogs tho do you? I dont agree with what they do but i think every human is entitled to respect and decency. Voice your opinion , be kind and you know what? you might actually win them over Nothing drives people to extremes more than cruelty